Monday, April 18, 2011

Toddler Anger Management

<- You'd never guess.


I heard the terrible twos could start as soon as 18 months (Melissa's age in a week), and last as long as their 30th birthday haha. At the same time, I heard some kids are just good and don't have them at all.

Well, my daughter is fantastic. And that is why she's so efficient at letting her will be known. And this is absolutely adorable when she's happy - or at least not crappy. She smiles more, claps more, talks more, makes more expressions, is more affectionate and understands us WAY better. Sounds like a dream, right?

Um, not always. It becomes a problem since she now knows how to show us how much we frustrate her. At least that's how my guilt-induced mom brain sees it most of the time - I think hubby has a much healthier view of it (don't them all). He's the one who woke me up to the fact that she might not be in deep distress (despite the wails and the tears and the screams and the look of suffering); she may be just testing the limits.

What? My heart would wonder. My sweet, sweet little baby is throwing a tantrum just because?? Yep. I have realized that despite her innocent face and wonderful kissies and huggies when she's in the mood for it, sometimes my daughter has an agenda. And that agenda is to be entertained AND see how far she can go. What else she can get if she whines just a little bit more. Maybe mommy will pull a pony out of her butt.

Sorry for the crudeness, I'm just at my wit's end sometimes. Not exactly right now - she's being the compliant girl I remembered (thank you, Wiggles). But it's like a time bomb. I wonder if that's how it's like for people in abusive relationships.

6 comments:

Betsy St. Amant said...

Hahahaha love the line about the pony. That's gonna crack me up for a long time! Thanks for the smile :) And I totally agree with your husband. Once you get to the other side of that stage, you'll see it. Sometimes she is truly upset, other times it is truly a test. You eventually learn to decipher the difference. My little miss can turn on the tears like a faucet. Great for high school drama class in the future. Frustrating for today ;)

Alice said...

I loved the visual of the pony too... :) And what you say makes total sense.
Since you share my love for books, let me recommend a book I haven't even read yet :) I have read "The happiest baby on the block" by Harvey Karpp and really liked it. He has a sequel called "The happiest toddler on the block." May be worth a try.

Jenner said...

I've heard that the terrible 2's happen at 3 years old. The peapod tests us occassionally but she is really well-behaved and sweet. I am just dreading the teenage years!!!

Cam - Bibs & Baubles said...

my son is the same age and he's ALL about testing us! here's hoping the terrible two's aren't so terrible. :)

Rachel said...

I was blessed with Anna... Thank God
She is adorable <3

Ms. Blasé said...

Really? That cutie has an agenda?! *gasp*

I just got off the phone with my mother. I called in order to talk about your post with her and she told me that I NEVER went through the terrible twos!!!...

... because I was mischievous from birth.

Thanks a lot, Mom.

Post a Comment

If you have problems leaving a comment, PLEASE email me at anneblf@yahoo.com (blogger has been giving me problems lately). Can't wait to hear from you!