Monday, January 31, 2011

Suffering in Paradise

Who would've guessed this sweet little face would be so much work??

Sorry, I haven't been the faithful blogger I once was. The sole reason is that I've been suffering in paradise - meaning, the wonders of motherhood are kicking my butt. Yes, I am delirously happy, but also deliriously tired. Not just, "didn't sleep well last night, but would catch up sleeping tomorrow" tired, but "will need a week in a relaxation clinic" TIRED.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon Melissa's a walking and talking toddler. This is a dream come true. The whole time she was a baby, I waited for this moment - not because I thought it'd get easier, but I couldn't wait to have little dialogues with her. And now, even though she doesn't say sentences yet (and is just starting to learn a few words), she understands us SO much more. It's the cutest thing. It's so cute it breaks your heart, in the most wonderful way. Unfortunately, it also breaks YOU.

Gone are the days that I could count on her staying in one place. When it happens, I even feel lucky that I got to sit down for a full minute. How sad is that?? I'm still a writerholic (yup, I have other writing projects besides this blog), so picture me carrying my laptop around the house, until I give up half an hour later with a sore wrist. Besides, I don't want my daughter to just see me behind a computer.

Do you see my point? I feel my me-time diminishing, my back hurting from looking/bending down (as I follow her) and my thighs thickening for all the chocolate I medicate myself with when she finally takes a nap.

Would you believe me if I said I'm the happiest I've ever been? It doesn't sound like it, but I am. It's just a HARD, HARD happiness. Like, for unlimited admission into Disneyland, you have to circle it twice by foot. So, yay, but, oy.

Thanks, Colleen Leung, for the awesome pictures!

Latest family portrait... The most overweight/exhausted I've ever seen myself, but strangely, the happiest too.
*Now, enter my chocolate giveaway below!*

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Love the pictures! You look great and glowing. Don't worry, the tiredness doesn't last forever - kids usually head for college at 18 or so...and once they're done with that they'll probably get married and have kids of their own! Then they won't have time for drinking or anything like that (the thought of which will keep us up worrying all through their college years). So we'll get sleep eventually, or so I'm told... :)

Mommyfriend Lori said...

Mama, you look bright and beautiful! I hear you on th exhausted thing, oh. my. gosh!

Post a Comment

If you have problems leaving a comment, PLEASE email me at anneblf@yahoo.com (blogger has been giving me problems lately). Can't wait to hear from you!